|New Members Information
Memorial Rifle Squad at
Thank you for your consideration to join the Memorial Rifle Squad (MRS) at Fort Snelling. Our dedicated MRS members consider it an honor and privilege to provide our departed Veterans with their FINAL SALUTE in recognition of their dedicated service to Our Country. We welcome new members that have earned the right (former military service) to join our MRS and provide services to those memorialized at the Fort Snelling National Cemetery.
MRS will ensure that you are given the opportunity to find out more about our MRS, meet the members of the Squad you choose to join and observe our MRS Honor Guard Presentations prior to making a decision to join our organization. We want to ensure that you are well informed about who we are, what we do and understand your commitment to joining MRS prior to making your final decision.
Information on becoming a Rifle Squad Member:
- To qualify as a Rifle Squad member, you must be honorably discharged and provide a DD214 prior to joining. If you do not have a DD214, you can obtain a copy using information provided on this website listed under “Benefits”.
- You must be a current member of a VSO (Veterans Service Organization) such as the American Legion, VFW, DAV, AMVETs or other Veteran organizations.
- There are Squads for Monday through Friday. Honor Guard Presentations can be scheduled every 15 minutes between 10 AM and 2 PM with time off for lunch. We average 10 (16 max) Honor Guard Presentations each day.
- You’ll be invited to ride the bus with any Daily Squad during actual Honor Guard presentations. This will allow you to view the Honor Guard presentation, duties of its members performing the honors and meet members prior to making any commitment to join the MRS.
- It is recommended you visit the web-page “Videos” on this MRS website to become familiar with who we are, our history and review the MRS Honor Guard procedure. You may also want to review the MRS website listed as the “News” on the menu. The MRS Charter and By-laws can be reviewed located under “About”.
- Contact the Squad Leader (see the list of contacts below) for the day of the week that best fits your schedule. If there are openings for the day you choose, you can work with the Squad Leader to take the steps necessary to become a member. If there are no openings for the day you select, you can chose another day or wait until there are openings on the day of your choice. The Squad Leaders will provide information on openings for any of the 5 daily squads.
- We are an all-volunteer organization funded with donations from the public (see the MRS “Donate” page). Our expenses include the bus used for MRS transportation, uniforms, rifles, flags, office supplies/equipment, maintenance and numerous miscellaneous expenses. MRS members are NOT compensated for their time (see item 9 below).
- MRS covers members expenses for:
- A uniform tailored to fit you and miscellaneous items. The uniform will consist of 4 shirts, 2 long sleeves and 2 short sleeves, a pair of pants and a belt. You will also receive a (winter) sweater, 3 jackets (summer, rain and winter) and miscellaneous uniform items. Any replacement of these items due to wear-and-tear will be provided by the MRS. Uniform items such as gloves, duty belts, pins, COVID masks, etc. are also provided.
- a daily lunch which includes sandwiches, soup (during the winter), fruit, pudding, and milk.
- meals for an annual MRS meeting for all members and an annual celebration dinner for MRS members, their spouses and limited guests.
- You are responsible for expenses related to:
- your volunteer hours since there is no compensation for your time from MRS
- your footwear which includes a pair of black (military style) shoes, a pair of black boots for the winter months and black socks.
- your travel to/from Fort Snelling
- keeping your uniform clean and pressed
- VSO membership (dues)
- The Squad Leader will review your qualifications and approve your request to become a member. The Squad Leader will then direct your next steps.
Contacts: Contact the Squad Leader/Assistant for the desired day and questions. If you have multiple days that work for your schedule, contact the Commander or Vice commander (refer to the Contacts page on this site for phone numbers) to determine which day has the prevalent need for new members.
|Squad Ldr||Asst Squad Ldr(s)|
| Al Johnson 763-969-8451
Gary Risenberg 612-202-1733
|Dale Mallberg 763-416-2099
Gerry Ballot 651-492-6745
|Bob Nelson 952-432-8310
Ken Tibesar 651-263-0522
| Dave Fleming
|Bob Seldon 612-308-5219|
Our Mailing Address:
Memorial Rifle Squad
PO Box 111007
St. Paul, Minnesota 55111