|New Members Information
Memorial Rifle Squad at
Thank you for your consideration to join the Memorial Rifle Squad (MRS) at Fort Snelling. Our MRS members consider it an honor and privilege to provide our departed Veterans with their FINAL SALUTE in recognition of their dedicated service to Our Country. We welcome new members that have earned the right to join our MRS and provide services to those memorialized at the Fort Snelling National Cemetery.
Prior to joining the MRS, you will be given the opportunity to find out more about our MRS, meet the members of the Squad you choose to join and ride with a Squad to observe our MRS Honor Guard Presentations. We want to ensure that you are well informed about who we are, what we do and understand your commitment to becoming a MRS member prior to making your final decision.
Here is information related to becoming a Rifle Squad Member:
- You must be a current member of a Veterans Organization such as the American Legion, VFW, DAV, AMVETs or other qualified Veteran organizations.
- To qualify as a Rifle Squad member, you must be honorably discharged and provide a DD214 prior to joining. If you do not have a DD214, you can obtain a copy using information provided on this website listed as “Benefits” on the menu bar.
- It is recommended you visit the web-page listed as “Videos” on the menu bar on this MRS website to become familiar with who we are, our history and review the MRS Honor Guard procedure. You may also want to review the MRS website listed as the “News” on the menu. Also, click on “About” and read more about MRS Charter and By-laws.
- There is a unique Squad for Monday through Friday. Saturdays are being considered as an addition to the current Monday thru Friday Squads. Honor Guard Presentations are scheduled every 15 minutes between 10 AM and 2 PM with time off for lunch. We have an average of 10 (16 max) Honor Guard Presentations each day.
- Contact the Squad Leader (see the list of contacts below) for the day of the week that best fits your schedule. If there are openings for the day you choose, you can work with the Squad Leader to take the steps necessary to become a member. If there are no openings for the day you select, you will be directed to contact another Squad Leader for another day of the week.
- You’ll be invited to ride the bus with a Squad during actual Honor Guard presentations, allowing you to view the Honor Guard presentation and get a chance to meet members of the squad prior to making any commitment to join the MRS.
- We are an all-volunteer organization funded with donations from the public (see the MRS “Donate” page). As a member:
- You will receive a uniform tailored to fit you. You will receive 4 shirts, 2 long sleeves and 2 short sleeves, a pair of pants and a belt. You will also receive a (winter) sweater, 2 jackets (summer and winter) and miscellaneous uniform items. Any replacement of these items due to wear-and-tear will be provided by the MRS. Uniform items such as gloves, duty belts, pins, etc. are also provided.
- You are responsible for your footwear including a pair of black (military style) shoes, a pair of black boots for the winter months and black socks.
- You will receive a daily lunch which includes sandwiches, soup (during the winter), fruit, pudding and milk.
- You are responsible for expenses related to your travel to/from Fort Snelling.
- You are responsible for expenses to keep your uniform clean and pressed.
- Fill out the attached Minneapolis VA Health Care System Application for Voluntary Service form and present completed form to the Squad Leader.
- If you have decided to become a member and the Squad Leader gives you the “go”, and the Quarter Master will provide you with an approval slip to get fitted for your uniform. Take the approval slip to one of 2 uniform locations. The uniform locations/addresses are listed on the memorialriflesquad.org/MRSonly page. You can navigate to the MRSOnly page using the memorialriflesquad.org lower menu bar, far right, and click on the “.” or add /mrsonly to the address.
Contacts: Contact the Squad Leader/Assistant for the desired day. If you have multiple days that work for your schedule, contact the Commander or Vice commander (for contact information, refer to the Contacts page on the MRS website) to determine which day has the prevalent need for new members.
|Squad Ldr||Asst Squad Ldr(s)|
| Al Johnson 763-969-8451
Gary Risenberg 612-202-1733
|Dale Mallberg 763-416-2099
Gerry Ballot 651-492-6745
|Bob Nelson 952-432-8310
Ken Tibesar 651-263-0522
| Dave Fleming
|Friday||George Weiss||Mike Pluta 651-451-9153
Bob Seldon 612-308-5219
Our Mailing Address:
Memorial Rifle Squad
PO Box 111007
St. Paul, Minnesota 55111