MRS annually folds 800+ American Flags for our veteran’s survivors. The triangular folded flag becomes a cherished memory for the family reminding them of their family member that proudly served in our US Military.
Our Memorial Rifle Squad Honors Presentation consists of:
- A Three Rifle Volley
- Sounding of Taps
- The Folding of the American Flag
- The Presentation of the Flag to a family survivor
A “Rifle Volley”, consists of 3 volleys with 3 to 7 rifles. The Rifle Volley loudly announces that to those nearby that a faithful veteran has departed. This is NOT A “21 gun salute“ since that term is used ONLY for heads of state (the leader of a country). For a detailed history of these terms, refer to Origin of the 21-Gun Salute.
The US flag, symbolizes numerous aspects of our US History.
- The number 13:
- The flag has 13 strips representing our original 13 colonies.
- The flag is folded with 13 triangular folds.
- The number 3:
- The 3 symbolizes our Veterans contributions – Duty, Honor, and Country.
- The US Flag triangular folded shape is symbolic of the 3 cornered hats worn by colonial soldiers in the Revolutionary War. The flag was stored in the same box used for the hats.
- There are 3 rifle volleys
- Taps is played in 3 note groups